Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Nickel and Dimed...anyone like it?

Ok so I just finished reading this book, and I%26#039;m ashamed to say I don%26#039;t quite understand the book as well as I thought I would. Now granted, it%26#039;s pretty self-explanatory but if I were to be asked to analyze the book, I wouldnt be able to. Say someone asked me how the random drug testing is affecting the workers%26#039; morale, I can answer it pretty vaguely....but it wouldn%26#039;t be answering the question. And yes I know the chances of meeting someone and randomnly being asked that are very very rare. But it doesn%26#039;t matter. I would like to fully understand this book and if anyone does understand it and is willing to help me then please let me know so I can e-mail you. Please and Thank You.
Nickel and Dimed...anyone like it?
This is the Ehrenreich book, right? Isn%26#039;t she attempting to get us to see that getting by on minimum wage isn%26#039;t %26quot;getting by.%26quot;
Nickel and Dimed...anyone like it?
I think she also shows how the underclass is permanent...there is no hope of these people ever escaping it. But that%26#039;s the American way, of course.





I remember her depiction of the hard work of being poor...the services that were available were at odd hours, or in inconvenient locations. She received food baskets that were full of junk food, hence the poor are generally fat and malnourished.

No comments:

Post a Comment